The O'Leary Collection—Medals of The Royal Canadian Regiment

SP-15250 C.S.M. (W.O. II) Clifford Charles Stewart

The Royal Canadian Regiment

By: Capt (ret'd) Michael M. O'Leary, CD, The RCR

Clifford Charles Stewart was born in York Centre, Gaspe, Quebec, on 8 Sep 1907. The Stewart family, led by parents Phillip (58) and Lucy (49) are shown in the 1921 Canadian census. The census shows the family with eight children at home ranging from 21 to 4 years of age (one older daughter has already moved out). Clifford (13) is the fifth child with three brothers and five sisters.

Stewart joined the Canadian Permanent Force with "A" Company, The Royal Canadian Regiment, on 12 Nov 1926. A 19-year-old labourer, he attested for service at Halifax, N.S., but was transferred to "B" Company, the regimental station at St John's, Quebec, on 30 Apr 1927. Stewart's move between company stations of The RCR was subject of an entry in Regimental Orders. Published in the regimental journal, The Connecting File, under "Employments, Postings and Transfers," the entry read: "No. 15250, Private C. C. Stewart transferred from "A" Company, Halifax, to "D" Company, St. John's, without expense to the public, 1st May, 1927." In effect, Stewart was allowed to transfer between companies as long as he paid his own way there.

On 12 Nov 1928, Stewart was awarded a Good Conduct Badge. The following month, The Connecting File edition published in Dec 1927 noted that L/Cpl C.C. Stewart was taking the regimental N.C.O.'s Course.

Stewart was Discharged by Purchase on 26 Jan 1929, having served 2 years, 76 days, of his 3-year engagement. His discharge was under Paragraph 386(viii) of King's Regulations for the Canadian Milita. The relevant sub-paragraph read: "At his own request after three months service on payment of $3.00 per month of unexpired service." A Lance Corporal at the time of his discharge, Stewart's character was recorded as Very Good.

The March 1929 edition of The Connecting File made two comments on the discharge by purchase obtained by Stewart:

"Lance-Corporal Stewart was struck off strength upon purchase of his discharge 26th January. We are very sorry he decided to leave us, as he will be missed very much by all. We wish him the best of luck and success and entertain the hope that he will come and see us occasionally. He occupied a place in sports in the Garrison that will not be readily filled and we hope that he may decide to come back and fill the place he has left vacant."

"L/Cpl. Stewart has left us to try his luck in civil life and his absence will be noted in the sports department. We all join in wishing him "bonne chance". — T.R."

During his time away from the Regiment, Stewart remained connected through his close associations with his fellow soldiers. In the July 1931 edition of The Connecting File the following item was published:

"Ex-Pte. C. C. Stewart occasionally visits us and he also brings us news of "Poppa" Chesley."

(Frederick Chesley had served in P.F. with the Regiment from 1919 to 1930. Before the Great War he had served four years in the R.C.M.R and R.G.A. and enlisted with The RCR for the First World War. Wounded in 1916, he worked with the Y.M.C.A. for the remainder of the war and returned to Canada in 1919 to re-enlist in the P.F. at 45 years of age.)

Returning to regimental service, Stewart was medically examined to confirm his fitness for the Permanent Force on 30 Jun 1933. Aged 25 years 242 days (and also noted as appearing to be 27), he was described as 5 feet 9 3/4-inches in height, weighing 187 pounds, with good physical development, a 39 1/2-inch chest, fair hair, fair complexion, and blue eyes. Stewart was considered fit, category A.

Stewart would maintain relatively good general health. Between 1934 and 1939 he experienced four short periods of hospitalization for various ailments. These were for influenza (6 days, Nov 1934), rheumatic arthritis of the left knee (25 days, May 1935), influenza (10 days, Jan 1938), and bronchitis (8 days, Mar 1939).

On 13 Jul 1933, a letter from the District Officer Commanding Military District No. 4, Brigadier W. Gibsone, on behalf of the O.C. "D" Company, The RCR, was sent to the Secretary of the Department of National Defence. This letter requested permission to re-enlist Stewart even though he did not meet all enlistment requirements of the day. The letter read:

"Advice has been received from the Officer Commanding, "D"Company, The Royal Canadian Regiment, to the effect that the marginally named has presented himself for re-enlistment. He took his discharge, by purchase, on 26th January, 1929.

"His character on discharge was "VERY GOOD" and he is well spoken of by those who knew him at that time. He is well above the average physically, twenty-five years and ten months of age and in all respects desirable

"He has not the educational qualifications called for in Adjutant-General's Letter No.3, 1933, (HQ.1-1-110, HQ.1-1-134,Vol.7, dated 15th February, 1933), but it is recommended that authority be granted to re-enlist this man at this time. Steps will be taken to prepare him for the necessary qualifications at the earliest possible date."

Clifford Stewart rejoined the Canadian Permanent Force with The Royal Canadian Regiment at St. Jean, Quebec, on 19 Jul 1933. He was 25 years 10 months old when he enlisted for a period of three years. Stewart gave his trade as a Salesman and his religious affiliation as Church of England. On re-enrolment, Stewart was credited with his earlier service and awarded his first Good Conduct Badge effective 19 Jul 1933.

An Employment Sheet maintained on Stewart at the St. Jean Station of The RCR noted his employment and character between 1934 and 1937.

"30 Sep 1933; Duty. A very good man, good manners, conscientious, fair education, good sportsman. 29 Sep 1934; A good soldier, reliable and hardworking, did good work as Canteen Clerk.

"22 Sep 1935; Reliable, hardworking. Successful as a Cook in the Officers' Mess.

"31 Aug 1936; Reliable and hardworking. Smart and clean, employed with entire satisfaction as camp Pioneer, is making efforts to improve his education.

"25 Sep 1937; Has been employed as canteen steward, A/L/C, hardworking, smart, clean, and cheerful. Most reliable."

Two notes on the November 1933 edition of The Connecting File reflect on Stewart's prowess as an athlete. The first is from the Boxing Tournament held in conjunction with the Regiment's 1933 re-union. "B" Company won the overall tournament with wins in the Light, Welter, and Middle Weight classes, but in the Heavy Weight class "Pte. C. C. Stewart, "D" Company, defeated Pte. Scholes, "B" Company."

Stewart was mentioned again in the "D" Company Notes in the November 1933 Connecting File:

"At the moment our activities are restricted to section training, football, and Junior League basketball. By the way, our junior team promises to become quite as efficient basketballers as the senior team with time and practice. The Juniors include Cpl. H. T. Bond, Ptes. G. H. Cook, A. Nicholas, R. E. Taylor, R. W.Bell, A. M. Goode, C. C. Stewart, R. G. Jeffery, A. T. Pilgrim, and 2nd Lieut. Pope. Unfortunately the Seniors do not seem to be able to find any local opposition this year as yet. It is rumoured that they will seek new fields of battle in Montreal, possibly with the Provincial Championship as their ultimate objective."

In a tongue in cheek comment on the abundance of dogs around the "D" Company garrison in the Connecting File of January 1935, Stewart received a mention:

"With the 1935 training programme still in the tentative stage, a suggestion has been put forward regarding the re-organization of "D" Company. The suggestion is that a "Bloodhound Platoon" be formed, composed of the fiercest species of dogs at present quartered in barracks. It is felt that little difficulty would be experienced in the training of such a platoon as recruiting material is abundant. If successful, it might be advisable to employ the remaining dogs in barracks in the formation of a complete "Bloodhound" company. Even a battalion might be formed if conscription were resorted to. L/Cpl. Freeman and Pte. Stewart have been recommended for the Instructional Cadre and will probably be given the rank of Dog-Sjt.-Instr."

In September 1935, Stewart was charged with being Away Without Leave from 0001 hours, 22 Sep 1935 until 0001 hours 24 Sep 1935. The charge parade was held on 25 Sep 1935, presided over by Capt & Brevet Maj. A.H.C. Campbell. Witnesses called were L.-Cpl. J.H. Wilkinson and Cpl. J.W. Lawrence (R.C.D.). Stewart was found guilty and admonished. He also forfeited two days pay, in effect losing the pay he would have earned during his absence.

Stewart was awarded his second Good Conduct Badge on 3 May 1936. A few months later, on completing his three-year engagement, he re-engaged for a second period of service on 19 Jul 1936.

Two months after re-engaging, Stewart was again on charge. This time, he was charged with Drunkenness, "in that he at St Jean, P.Q., on 1st Sept. 1936, while employed as a batman, was drunk." The summary trial took place on 3 Sep 1936 and the charge was again heard by Capt & Brevet Maj. A.H.C. Campbell. Witnesses called were C.S.M. S.H. Rayner, M.M., and Cpl. N. Chapman. Found guilty of his first offence of drunkenness, Stewart was again admonished, the first step on an escalating scale of punishments for the offence of drunkenness.

In January 1937, Stewart requested permission to marry and this was granted for the days from 15 to 20 Feb 1937. A week after the initial request had been forwarded to Ottawa, an amendment had to be requested by the District Officer Commanding Military District No. 4, Brigadier R.O. Alexander, on behalf of the O.C. "D" Company, The RCR. Having realized that the requested dates fell within the period of Lent that year, the requested date for Stewart to marry was amended to Saturday, 6 Feb 1937.

On 6 Feb 1937, Stewart married Marguerite Gray at St John's, Que. After their marriage, the Stewarts lived at 93a Richelieu St, St John's, Que., and later move to 293 St. Mercier St., St John's, Que. The nuptials were briefly mentioned in The Connecting File edition of April, 1937, "Congratulations to the newly-wed Pte. "Cliff" Stewart."

In March 1937, Stewart successfully completed his Army 2nd Class Certificate of Education. This achievement probably set aside the educational requirement which had been waived when he re-enlisted four years .

Stewart enlisted in the Canadian Army (Active Force) for Second World War service on 1 Sep 1939. Starting his war as a Private in "D" Company, The RCR, he was immediately appointed Acting Lance Corporal, without pay. On 15 Nov 1939, he would start receiving the pay to go with his appointed rank.

With the Regiment on its way to England, Stewart embarked at Halifax, N.S., on 18 Dec 1939. Disembarking at Gourock, Scotland, on 30 Dec 1939, the Regiment began its wait for operational employment while continuing to train in The United Kingdom.

Stewart was promoted to Acting Corporal, with pay, on 1 Jan 1940. On 24 Feb 1940, he received another appointment to higher rank, being made up to Acting Lance Sergeant. A month later his promotion to Lance Sergeant was confirmed, effective the date of his appointment.

On 13 Jun 1940, The RCR proceeded to Plymouth where the Regiment boarded the S.S. Elmansour. Reaching the coast of France early the next morning, the Regiment disembarked at Brest. Entraining, The RCR reached the area of Chateaubriant, Loire, France, about 300 kilometers inland, before they were ordered to return to the coast. The return journey to Brest was only accomplished because soldiers with railway experience in the unit were available to replace the French trainmen that abandoned their duty. Re-embarking at Brest on 15 Jun 1940, The RCR disembarked at Plymouth on 17 Jun 1940 and returned to Southampton.

Over the next few years, Stewart was affected by the steady changes within the Regiment as some soldiers moved on to other employment or trades, and those who remained were posted between companies to where their skills could be best employed. On 13 Aug 1940, he was posted to "A" Company and less than a month later, on 6 Sep 1940, transferred again to "HQ" Coy. The following spring, on 20 May 1941, Stewart was confirmed in rank of Sergeant.

In June 1941, Stewart was again demonstrating his skills as an athlete. He received a medallion commemorating his victory in the Canadian Army's boxing championships, taking the Light Heavyweight 175 lb class.

On 26 Mar 1942, Stewart's overseas service in England came to an end, but he was not destined to go to a theatre of war. He returned to Canada and on 1 Apr 1942 was taken on the strength of No. 1 District Depot, Wolseley Barracks, London, Ont.

Back in Canada, Stewart's value as an instructor was soon put to use. On 27 Apr 1942 he was sent to No. 12 Basic Training Centre at Chatham, Ont., on attachment. He returned to London on 15 Jun 1942, but was only back in London a few days. On 27 Jun 1942, Stewart proceeded on command to A29 Canadian Infantry Training Centre which began in Listowel and moved to Camp Ipperwash later that year.

From 15 Sep 1942, Stewart was attached to 1 Cdn Div P.T. & W.T. Camp while attending the Regimental Boxing Instructor Course. Stewart returned to the unit on 25 Sep 1941.

Stewart was interviewed by a personnel Selection Officer on 28 Sep 1942. Notes from that interview include:

"Educational Background:— Army. Has a 2nd. class certificate of education. Completed Grade VII and left school at age 13.

"Occupational Background:— Sailed on freight boats for two years and then joined the R.C.R. He left his unit by purchase and did some work for Northern Electric Company and then did a year of police work. Following this he re-joined the R.C.R.

"Military Background:— D Coy, R.C.R. Crime Sheet: Clear. Courses: WT & PT Course in England. Gas Course at Aldershot (Overseas). Boxing Instructors Course. Promoted: A/L/Cpl 1-9-39, A/L/Sgt 24-2-40 A/Sgt 4-3-42.

"Other Personal History and Appraisal:— Height: 5' 9'. Weight: 195 lbs. Health: Good development. This man says he has a continuous cold in his chest. He was married in Feb. 1937 and is expecting a child sometime in June, 1943. Normal domestic relationships. Smokes and drinks moderately. Is interested in sports, singing and reading. He thinks that his greatest strength is as a disciplinarian. This man is making a good provost sgt but occasionlly runs into difficulty in handling his staff. He has an open, frank manner but might possibly be patronizing and have one or two bad habits.

"Recommendations:— Presently employed at A.29 as a Provost Sgt. Below average ability and intelligence but because of military and police experience he should be capable of performing an adequate job."

In March 1943, the Stewarts welcomed the arrival of a daughter, Andrea Agnes Stewart. At the start of the following month, 1 Jun 1943, Stewart was promoted to Warrant Officer, Class II, and appointed Acting Company Sergeant Major (with pay).

Stewart had been serving on attachment to the Training Centre since September 1942 and on 30 May 1944, he ceased attachment and was formally transferred from No. 1 D.D. to A-29 (I) T.C. Ipperwash.

On 1 Sep 1944, Stewart was entitled to wear 1 silver and four red service chevrons representing his wartime service. During the following spring, Stewart attended Course No. 6, Drill and Duties, conducted at the Instructor Training Wing of S-3 Canadian Small Arms School at Long Branch, Ont., from 23 Mar to 6 Apr 1945.

Stewart volunteered for the Pacific Theatre on 30 May 1945, but not accepted. A notation in his file suggests the reason may have been his general health or fitness. This did not, however, prevent him from attending and completing the Job Instructor Training Course held at A-29 Canadian Infantry Training Centre, Ipperwash, from 25 Jul to 1 Aug 1945.

On 20 Nov 1945, Stewart was accepted for the Interim Force. This was the organization of Canadian Army during its transition from its state at the end of the war and the still to be determined post-war establishment.

In a follow-up note to his Sep 1942 PSO interview, Stewart's employment in Dec 1945 was summarized as "C.S.M. Stewart has been employed at A 29 C.I.C.T.C for over 2 years as a Provost Sgt and most recently in A Wing. A P.F. soldier, he has given good service at this centre and is now proceeding on course to London."

On 16 Jan 1946, Stewart was attached for all purposes to the 2nd (Reserve) Battalion, Elgin Regiment. Located in St. Thomas, this was the unit that remained in the home garrison while the active force battalion (the 1st Battalion, although that nomenclature is seldom used to refer to the overseas units) was operational. On 21 Jan 1946, Stewart's parent unit changed from the A-29 Infantry Training Centre to No. 1 District Depot in London. He remained on attachment with the Elgin Regt.

Stewart was sent to the Combat Arms School of Infantry (CAS of I) at Camp Borden on 8 Feb 1946. While here he attended the First Refresher Course, Infantry (Reserve), Machine Gun and Mortar, for Administrative and Training (A&T) Personnel (i.e., the full time Regular Force staff posted to Reserve units). He completed the course and returned to the Elgin Regiment on 8 Mar 1946.

On 30 Sep 1946, Stewart was discharged from the Active Force for the purpose of re-enlisting with the Permanent Force. His wartime service was summarized as follows:

For his operational service in the Second World War, he was eligible to receive the 1939-45 Star, the Defence Medal, the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal with Overseas Clasp, and the 1939-45 War Medal. He also received the War Service Badge, no. 1085313.

Effective 1 Oct 1946, Stewart was back on the strength of the Regular Army in Canada's peacetime military. With that change of status, his new place of employment was confirmed and all of the necessary administrative entitlements were put in place, including:

On 23 Oct 1946, Stewart re-engaged to serve in the Canadian Army (Active Force) (Regular) for three years with a start date back-dated to 1 Oct. At the time, Stewart was a C.S.M. (W.O. II) and was employed with the No. 1 Administrative and Training (A&T) Staff at District Depot No. 1, Wolseley Barracks, London, Ont. (attached Elgin Regt).

A letter in Stewart's service record dated 22 Jan 1947 confirms some of the gaps in his service that were not otherwise detailed. Sent to the O.C. Elgin Regiment from the O.C. The Black Watch (RHR) of Canada, the letter confirmed Stewart's service with the latter regiment during two periods. These were from 19 Oct 1925 to 10 Jan 1927 (regt no 1605) and from 29 Sep 1930 to 2 Oct 1933 (regt no 2495).

On 31 Jan 1947, Stewart's attachment for duty with the Elgin Regiment ceased and he was posted for duty to the unit. Stewart ceased drawing Separated Family Allowance on 30 Apr 1947. This probably indicates a move of his family to St. Thomas.

On 14 May 1947, Stewart was posted from the Elgin Regiment back to the HQ 1 Section A&T Staff at Wolseley Barracks. He was then sent on task to the Petawawa Summer Camp from 15 May until 28 Jun 1947. Immediately after his task in Petawawa, Stewart proceeded on command (i.e., a temporary duty assignment) to the Ipperwash Cadet Summer Camp on 29 Jun 1947. His attachment at Ipperwash would last until 17 Jul 1947 at which time he was posted back to the Elgin Regiment A&T Staff.

Both Clifford and Marguerite Stewart were engaged in the swimming program at the YMCA in St Thomas and remained so for many years. In July 1947 both Clifford and Marguerite were awarded the Royal Life Saving Medallion for their skills in life saving techniques. Marguerite would receive another medallion in 1949.

The next summer, Stewart would again be posted to No. 1 District Depot and be sent on temporary duty to Petawawa Summer Camp. After working in Peawawa from 18 Jul to 18 Aug 1948, he returned from temporary duty and was posted back to the Elgin Regiment.

On 1 Oct 1948, Stewart verified for the Army's records that his next of kin was his wife, Marguerite Stewart and that they lived at 15 Cypress St., St. Thomas, Ont. Stewart qualified as an Infantry Instructor (Anti-Tank), Group I, under the 1946 standards on 1 Nov 1948. Having qualified, he was then eligible to draw pay as an Instr Inf (A/Tk) Gp I.

Stewart was struck off strength of the Elgin Regiment to No. 7 Personnel Depot for discharge on 21 May 1949. Two days later, on 23 May 1949, he was interviewed by the Area Personnel Officer in preparation for his discharge and retirement from the Regular Army to pension. Notes from that interview include:

"Occupational History:—

"Service Training and Duties:—

  • "Enlisted RCR, 12 Nov 1926; bought discharge 26 Jan 1929.
  • Re-enlisted RCR, 19 July 1933 (Steward in Men's canteen as A/Cpl). Enlisted CA(A), 2 Sep 39.
  • 6 Dec 1940 – Mar 42; Provost Sgt, RCR (UK).
  • Mar 1942 – June 1943 – Provost Sgt(Canada).
  • 1 Jun 1943 – 16 Jan 1946 – CSM at Ipperwash Adv Trg Centre as infantry instructor.
  • 16 Jan 1946 to date – A&T Staff with Elgin Regt (RF)

"Educational Course While in Service:—

"1945; Canadian Legion Educational Service (CLES) Forestry Course. Has certificate of completion.

"Dischargee's Own Statement of Future Plans:—

"I will be employed as caterer of the Officers' Mess (Elgin Regt) on discharge. I have an offer to go into an established tourist business with my sister and brother-in-law near Montreal but would prefer to stay in Ontario, as he feels educational opportunities are better here."

"Basis for Counsellor's Recommendations:—

"SM Stewart is a mature, 42 year old soldier with 20 years army service. His military experience has been of three distinct types: (1) Steward in the Regimental Canteen for almost 6 years prior to World War II (2) Provost Sgt for 3 years (3) Military training instructor for 6 years. In accepting employment as steward of the Officers' Mess of the Elgin Regt, SM Stewart will be making use of experience gained earlier in his army career. In addition he will be continuing an association with the regiment with which he has worked as A&T instructor for the past 3 years. He says he has made many friends in St. Thomas and both he and his wife have taken an active part in giving swimming instruction to children in that city. He would be able to continue this work by remaining there. While Stewart admits that the proposition offered by his brother-in-law to take Stewart into his tourist business ia attractive, this course would necessitate moving to the Montreal area. He would prefer to remain in Ontario until his daughter's education is completed.

"SM Stewart states he has also been offered employment as a jail-guard as an industrial guard at the Timken Bearing Co. Both these posts would permit him to remain in St. Thomas.

"SM Stewart has already used up his re-establishment credits to purchase furniture and other household appliances but is seriously contemplating paying back the money and applying for a small holding in the St. Thomas area.

"In view of his background and the fact Stewart and his wife appear to like living in St. Thomas, his intention to accept the position of steward with the Elgin Regt appears sound.

"Action Recommended:—

"1. Accept employment as steward of Elgin Regt Officers' Mess. 2. If necessary accept offer to assist his brother-in-law in tourist business.

"Other Possibilities Suggested by Counselor:—

"1. Employment as industrial security guard. 2. Employment as jail guard."

Stewart completed six years in the rank of W.O. II on 1 Jun 1949 and was eligible for an increase in pay before his discharge was effected. He was also granted 30 days of annual leave followed by 90 days rehabilitation leave from 1 Jul to 30 Sep 1949.

The September 1949 edition of The Connecting File included an article on Stewart and his retirement to pension. Reprinted from its appearance in the 28 May 1949 edition of the St. Thomas Times Journal, it read:

CSM C.C. Stewart 20 Years in Army

An army man since he was 18, Clifford Charles Stewart, company sergeant major serving on the administrative and training staff of the Elgin Regiment since January, 1946, has decided to retire and settle down in St. Thomas with his wife and their six-year-old daughter, Andrea. It will be the first time the family has ever had a chance to stay in one place for more than a few months or a year or two. Part of the reason for CSM Stewart's leaving the army when he might have gone on in the service for many more years was that he and Mrs. Stewart liked St. Thomas and wanted to stay there.

Sergeant Major Stewart's retirement does not become effective until October 1. Meanwhile he has begun to enjoy a long discharge leave with accumulated leave he had coming to him. When his service ends he will have had 20 years and 254 days in the army to his credit.

Born on a Gaspe Peninsula farm in 1908 of Scottish parents, Sergeant Major Stewart's idea as a boy was to follow his father's footsteps and go to sea. So, at 16, he joined the Canadian Government Merchant Marine and for the next two years served on Government vessels sailing to the West Indies. He gave up seafaring to join the Royal Canadian Regiment at Halifax in 1926 when the regiment maintained one company there, another at St. John, Que., a third at Toronto and a fourth company and regimental headquarters at London, Ont.

He broke his service with the R.C.R. between 1929 and 1933 to join the Westmount, Que., police force, meanwhile joining the Black Watch Regiment of the non-permanent militia. Then in 1933 he rejoined the R.C.R. and remained with it until posted to the Elgins in 1946. He went overseas with the R.C.R. in November, 1939, and in June, 1940, just after the fall of Dunkirk, was with the regiment when it went to France for a brief period before the fall of France. He returned to Canada in 1942 with the instructional cadre of the RCR serving at Listowel, Chatham and Ipperwash for the balance of the war. Mr. Stewart was in England through 1940, being in London at the time of the blitz.

With an enviable record in army sports, particularly in boxing, Sergeant Major Stewart won his first title as heavyweight champion of the R.C.R. at their 50th anniversary reunion in 1933. He then won the army golden gloves championship in the same class at Montreal in 1935. Overseas in 1941 he won the First Brigade heavyweight championship and retired on his laurels. He has been qualified as an army sports instructor for a long time, and is also a qualified Red Cross swimming instructor and holds the bronze medallion (British) in life saving. Mrs. Stewart is also much interested in swimming, and she organized and has instructed the Y.W.C.A. swimming classes at Alma College for children. These have been running about a year. The Stewarts will continue to reside at 15 Cypress street and Sergeant Major Stewart intends to rejoin the Elgins as a member of the Canadian Army Reserve Force when his retirement from the Permanent Force becomes effective.

Stewart was among the recipients of the Canadian Medal for Long Service and Good Conduct (Military) listed in the Canada Gazette edition of 17 Sep 1949. The published entries from Canadian Army Orders dated 5 Sep 1949 included "SP15250 WO II Stewart, RCIC." On 14 Sep 1949, Army Headquarters at Ottawa, despatched the Canadian Medal for Long Service and Good Conduct to be presented to Stewart. The medal was sent to the headquarters, Western Ontario Area for delivery to Stewart's unit. Stewart was presented with his Long Service Medal on 18 Oct 1949.

Clifford Stewart was struck off the strength of the Canadian Army (Active Force) on 30 Sep 1949. His discharge was under Kings Regulations (Canada) paragraph 372(xx), "on termination of engagement."

Stewart's pension was put before the Treasury Board on 28 Oct 1949. A Minute of that meeting, approved by His Excellency the Governor General in Council, stated the following:

"The Board recommend that No. SP-15250, Warrant Officer Class II Clifford Charles Stewart, Royal Canadian Infantry Corps, who, on termination of engagement, was compulsorily retired on September 30, 1949, after having completed not less than twenty years service in the Non-Permanent Active Militia, the Permanent Force, and the Canadian Army (Active Force), be granted, under the provisions of The Militia Pension Act, a gross pension of $1,024.53 per annum; from which is to be deducted annually the sum of $175.85 for 1 year and 215 days, when unpaid pension dues for service in the Non-Permanent Active Militia will have been paid, and the sum of $49.85 annually for a further period of 11 years and 58 days, when all unpaid pension dues will have been recovered; such pension to commence on October 1, 1949."

On 7 Nov 1949, a letter was sent from the President of the Department of National Defence Pensions and Claims Board to the Chief Treasury Officer on behalf of SP-15259 Warrant Officer Class II C.C. Stewart. The letter provided the following details supporting a request for Stewart's pension:

"Pay and allowances on which pension in this case is based – $2,561.33.

"This pensioner did not serve on Active Service outside of Canada or the United States during the First Great War.

"Period of service on which pension is based -

  • NPAM; 27-6-26 to 11-11-26 (1/2 to count); 0 years 69 days
  • PAM; 12-11-26 to 26-1-29; 2 years 76 days
  • NPAM; 29-9-30 to 18-7-33 (1/2 to count) 1 year 146 days
  • PF, CA(A), CA(AF); 19-7-33 to 30-9-49; 16 years 74 days

"Total; 20 years."

In November 1951, Stewart received another medallion, a coin which demonstrating his efforts to improve his life and conquer an old enemy. Dated 14 Nov 1951, he was given the coin from the London group for Alcoholics Anonymous.

Clifford Stewart died on 24 Apr 1968. He is buried in South Park Cemetery, St. Thomas, Ont.

On 19 Aug 1990, Marguerite Stewart sent a letter to National Defence Headquarters inquiring about the process to replace Stewart's medals, which had become lost or misplaced while moving between residences. A reply from the Director Personnel Administration stated:

"A review of your husband's military records indicates that he was awarded the 1939-45 Star, Defence Medal, Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and Clasp, War Medal 1939-45 and the Canadian Medal for Long Service and Good Conduct (Army).

"The Canadian Medal for Long Service and Good Conduct (Army) can be replaced by providing this Headquarters with a Statutory Declaration or Statement completed in the presence of a Commissioner of Oath's (in most provinces any commissioned Regular Force Officer, city official, postmaster or doctor) giving full particulars of the loss. Also required is a certified cheque or money order in the amount of $14.00 made payable to the Receiver General for Canada. The medal will be engraved and forwarded to you following receipt of the declaration or statement and remittance.

"I have taken the liberty of sending a copy of your letter to Veterans Affairs Canada for replacement of his Second World War Medals."

The requested statutory declaration, stamped and signed by the Postmaster at St Thomas, was sent to NDHQ on 29 Oct 1990.

Marguerite Stewart died on 17 Mar 1993 at St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital. Her last place of residence in the city was 200 Chestnut St., St Thomas. Marguerite was buried in South Park Cemetery, St. Thomas, Ont., beside Clifford.

Pro Patria

Visit a randomly selected page in The O'Leary Collection (or reload for another choice):