The O'Leary Collection—Medals of The Royal Canadian Regiment

2355331 Lance Corporal Albert Lorking

7th Regiment (Overseas Company)
1st Depot Battalion, Western Ontario Regiment
1st Canadian Infantry Battalion

By: Capt (ret'd) Michael M. O'Leary, CD, The RCR

Albert Lorking was born in St. Leonards On Sea, Sussex, England, on 30 Nov 1890. His parents were William Thomas and Ruth (nee Packham) Lorking.

Lorking was living in Republic City, Kansas, USA, when he travelled north to Canada to enlist for the First World War. He attested for service in the Canadian Expeditionary Force (C.E.F.) with the 7th Regiment Overseas Company, C.E.F., (No. 1 Special Service Company), at London, Ont., on 5 Jul 1917. A 26-year-old labourer, Lorking was described on his attestation paper as 5-feet 3-inches tall, weighing 127 pounds, with a 32-inch chest, a dark complexion, brown eyes, and dark brown hair. His religious denomination was Church of England. Lorking identified his father, William Lorking, of Wentworth Falls, New South Wales, Australia, as his next of kin. On attesting with the 7th Regt. Overseas Company, Lorking was given the regimental number 2355331.

Lorking remained with the 7th Regiment's "Special Service Company" until 1 Sep 1917 when he was taken on the paylist for the 1st Depot Battalion, Western Ontario Regiment. Less than two weeks later, on 10 Sep 1917, he was promoted to the rank of Corporal.

On 17 Oct 1917, Albert Lorking married Minnie Osborne Redding. Originally from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, Minnie was in London working as a clerk for George Peters' confectionary business. She was 38 years of age at the time of their marriage, eleven years older than Albert. The brief wedding announcement published in The London Advertiser on 20 Oct 1917 read:

"LORKING–REDDING#8212;On Wednesday, October 17, 1917, at the First Methodist personage, Minnie Osborne Redding of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, was united in marriage by Rev. R.G. Peever, to Corporal Albert Lorking of the 1st Depot Battalion, W.O.R., London, Ont."

Commencing November, 1917, Lorking established a monthly Pay Assignment of $20 to be sent to his wife. As a Private in the C.E.F., Lorking was paid $1.00 per day plus an additional ten cents daily field allowance. His pay assignment represented about two-thirds of his monthly pay. Minnie Lorking also received a Separation Allowance, which began in December, 1917. Originally set at $20 per month, the amount of Separation Allowance increased to $25 per month in December, 1917, and to $30 in September, 1918.

Lorking was promoted to the rank of Sergeant on 6 Dec 1917. A few weeks later, on 21 Dec 1917, his reinforcement draft sailed from Halifax, N.S., aboard the S.S. Missanabie. Disembarking at Glasgow on 31 Dec 1917, Lorking was taken on the strength of the 4th Canadian Reserve Battalion.

The 4th Res. Bn. was one of the units under the control of the Western Ontario Regimental Depot (W.O.R.D.). The W.O.R.D. was part of the regionally based reinforcement system created in early 1917, with named Depots taking in troops from battalions raised in those areas in Canada and providing reinforcement drafts to similarly designated fighting units. These regionally named Depots also became the parent unit for any soldiers returned to England from their affiliated battalions in France and Flanders.

One of the effects of arriving overseas was Lorking's reversion to the rank of Private. This was a normal occurrence as units overseas had their own staffs and did not need the addition of inexperienced NCOs joining their establishments. Lorking proved his value to the unit and on 1 Jan 1918 was promoted again to the rank of Lance Corporal (with pay). This promotion only lasted until he was struck off the strength of the 4th Res. Bn. on 28 Mar 1918 and reverted to the ranks again when he proceeded overseas to France.

Arriving at the Canadian Base Depot (C.B.D), Harve, on 29 Mar 1918, Lorking was sent to the Canadian Corps Reinforcement Camp (C.C.R.C.) on 3 Apr 1918. Three days later he moved again, leaving the C.C.R.C. on 6 Jun 1918 to join the 1st Canadian Infantry Battalion in the field.

Lorking joined the 1st Cdn. Inf. Bn. as it went into a period of training behind the lines at Mingoval. The War Diary entry for his first day at the unit read:

"Parades and Inspection by Company Commander, Lewis Gunnery and Musketry. Company exercises dealing with (a) Protection on the march. (b) Rapid deployment. (c) Attack and withdrawal. (d) Protection at Rest. Afternoon devoted to Sports."

The 1st Battalion remained at Mingoval for the rest of June, 1918. On the last day of the month it marched to St. Aubin where it was present at the Canadian Corps Sports Day on 1 Jul 1918. Training continued and the battalion moved to "Y" Camp on 9 Jul 1918 where it began preparations for a return to the trenches.

Lorking's first experience of the front line trenches came on 13 Jul 1918 when the 1st Cdn. Inf. Bn. relieved the 4/5th Black Watch in Support Trenches in the Oppy Sector. Over the next eight days, the unit would cycle through relatively quiet tours of duty in Support, the Forward Line of Trenches, and then Divisional Reserve. On 19 Jul 1918 the 1st Battalion was relieved by the 72nd Cdn, Inf. Bn.

After another period in Local Support Trenches from 24 to 31 July, the Battalion had a chance for baths and fresh clothing, then moved over the following days until reaching an assembly area near Gentelles on 6 Aug 1918. From here, it went into the attack in the early morning hours of 8 Aug 1918. The Battalion's "Battle Bar Document" (prepared after the war by the Militia Department in anticipation of the possibility of clasps for the British War Medal) notes:

"4.20 a.m. Attack commenced.
"5.20. a.m. Bn. moved forward passing to the South of Hangard Wood and keeping in touch with attacking battalions finally consolidating positions in Bde. Reserve in vicinity of Lemaire Wood. V.22 and V.23 Sheet 62.D."

Continuing on the 9th of August, the document adds:

"Assembled for attack in E.25.A. and passing through the 87th Bn in vicinity of Le Quesnel, advanced to the attack on Beaufort and Folies. Both these villages were captured, the Bn. consolidating positions in K.12.C. and B. and K.18.B., with Bn. H.Q. at K.11.B.90.05. Sheet 66.C."

Within two months of joining the 1st Battalion, Lorking had experienced the cycle of front line duties conducted by infantry units, the focused training that occurred whenever units were out of the lines, the seemingly endless days of marching, and the major attacks of the opening days of the Last 100 Days Campaign. That pace of life would continue for the following months and Lorking would again find himself ready to go into the attack with the battalion on 27 Sep 1918.

The Battle Bar Document entry for 27 Sep 1918 provides the following brief synopsis:

"5.30 a.m. Bn. advanced to the attack, supporting the 4th Bn. and passing through the latter Bn. in the Manquion Line in V.28.b. Sheet 51.B. and E.4.a, Sheet 57.C., advanced to the attack on the Green Line. Objective gained, Bn. consolidating in vicinity of Railway in W.24.c & d. and W.30.b & c., Sheet 51.B."

The Battalion's War Diary offers more detail and notes the cost in casualties:

"Our barrage came down at 5.20 A.M., and the enemy replied, rather feebly, at the end of seven minutes, with "whizz-bangs" and later with heavier calibre shells. The Companies jumped off as follows: "D", 6.00 A.M.; "C", 6.00; "B", 6.20; "A", 6.15, and followed closely, according to orders, the 4th Canadian Battalion, who in turn were close up to the barrage on time. At 7.00 A.M. enemy shelling was noticeably lighter. Major L.B. Unwin, M.C., left for 4th Canadian Battalion H.Q., which we were to take over, and Lieut. J.C. Wakefield left in charge of 50% of Headquarters personnel at the same time. At 8.15 A.M. Battalion H.Q. was moved to the ruined DELIGNY MILL. The advance met with heavy enemy M.G. fire, especially at the Railway, The 3rd Battalion was held up, and General Griesbach asked the 12th Brigade, C.F.A. to enfilade the railway in W.30.c. Progress was slow, but at 11.00 the GREEN LINE was reported in our hands. Before 2.00 P.M. "A" Company was on the sunken road at W.29.c.30.80, and "B" Company consolidating on a two-Platoon front between W.24.c.85.70 and W.24.d.20.15 (near crest of hill) Major Unwin had "D" Company go forward to occupy and consolidate on the railway. At 2.05 he reported that the 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade had passed through and were crossing the CAMBRAI ROAD. "A" Company at the GREEN LINE reported the 2nd and 3rd Battalions passing through. The enemy retired gradually, in small groups, under continued M.G. covering fire. Our barrage was well beyond the GREEN Objective by 11.00 a.m. The Companies dug in at the objective, and later orders were received from Brigade to stand fast for the night. Dispositions were made to meet any counter-attack, and rations were brought up. Officer Casualties, Lieuts. H. Bell, F.A. McNee and F.S. Douglas wounded. Casualties among Other Ranks estimated at 130, of whom 20 were killed."

Among the wounded at the end of the 1st Battalion's attack on 27 Sep 1918 was Private Albert Lorking. Badly wounded in both legs, he bypassed the Field Ambulance and was taken straight to 22 Casualty Clearing Station (C.C.S.) on 28 Sep 1918. The following day, he was transferred to No. 14 General Hospital at Wimereux, his wounds described as "G.S.W., legs, severe." "G.S.W.," short for Gun Shot Wound, was a general term used to describe injuries from high velocity projectiles, which could be bullets, shrapnel balls, or shell splinters.

A series of Field Medical Cards in Lorking's service records details the care he received at 14 Gen. Hosp. His wounds were serious enough to require the amputation of his right leg above the knee and his left leg also required extensive treatment.

The cablegrams sent to Lorking's wife and his parents show the seriousness of his condition while he remained in France, unable to be evacuated to England. On 21 Oct 1918 he was reported dangerously ill. Over the following months, three separate cables informed them that Lorking's condition was improving. On 24 Dec 1918, a final cable from Wimereux informed them that he was removed from the dangerously ill list.

By late December, Lorking was considered stable enough to be evacuated and on 27 Dec 1918, he was posted to the Western Ontario Regimental Depot (W.O.R.D.) and despatched to England aboard the hospital ship H.S. Cambria. On arrival in England, he was admitted to Southwark Military Hospital, East Dulwich Grove, London.

While in England, Lorking changed hospital a few times. On 26 Mar 1919, he was admitted to No. 16 Canadian General Hospital at Orpington. As he was being prepared to be evacuated to Canada, he moved to No. 5 Canadian General Hospital at Liverpool on 26 Jul 1919.

Ten and one-half months after he was wounded, Lorking was invalided to Canada and sailed from Liverpool aboard the S.S. Araguaya on 8 Aug 1919. On departing England's shores he was taken on the strength of No. 1 District Depot at London, Ont.

Lorking disembarked at Portland, Maine, USA, on 17 Aug 1919 and was posted to the Hospital Section (Western Ontario Military Hospital (W.O.M.H.)). He was granted home-coming furlough with subsistence allowance of 80 cents per diem from 18 Sep to 2 Oct 1919.

Soon after his furlough, on 21 Oct 1919, Lorking was transferred to No. 2 District Depot in Toronto and posted to their Hospital Section at the Dominion Orthopedic Hospital (D.O.H.). Opened in February, 1919, the DOH reported in its souvenir booklet published in 1920 that the facility had cared for over 3000 returned soldiers, including over 1100 amputees. It was here that Lorking was fitted for a prosthetic leg.

For his overseas service, Lorking was eligible to receive a War Service Gratuity of $350. Minnie Lorking also received a spousal amount of $150. Cheques were issued to both of them in five instalments between November, 1919, and February, 1920.

On 13 Nov 1919, Lorking was transferred to St. Andrew's Hospital in Toronto. He returned to the D.O.H. on 3 Feb 1920 where, three weeks later, his progress in adjusting to his prosthetic leg was noted. Notes made at the D.O.H. on 23 Feb 1920 state that he "[was] practicing on leg at limb factory and can get around on it for a short while by using crutches. Strength is returning to left leg. Voluntary power returning."

A summary of Lorking's condition was recorded at the D.O.H. on 28 May 1920 as he was being boarded for discharge:

"#2355431, Ptes Lorking, A. "D.O.H. May 28/20. "Condition when finally boarded for discharge.

"1.     Wounded Sept. 27th, 1918, rt. knee. The knee became very septic. Amp. done Oct. 3, 1918, 14 Gen. Hospital. Reamp. 7/3/19 Gen. Hosp., London, stump healed by Aug. 1919. artificial leg supplied D.O.H.

"2.     Knee was very septic. Several incisions for drainage. Leg out up in Thomas splint - 8 months. Was healed by Aug. 1919.

"3.     Wounds gradually healed. Dressings till Aug. 1919. Has had about 8 mos.' massage and electrotherapy for perineal and calf muscles.

"1.     Rt. thigh amputated in middle third, stump 8" long, measured from perineum. Scar well healed, not painful or tender. Movement of hip joint normal. Has been supplied with satisfactory artificial leg. On account of ankylosis of lt knee, he has to walk with rt. knee locked in extension.

"2.     Had fracture of ext. condyle of lt. femur. Has numerous deep linear scars about lt. knee. Patella firmly fixed. Knee firmly ankylosed in fully extended position. Joint is painless except at times when there is change of weather.

"3.     There is a broad deep scar at back of upper third of calf and another linear scar about 4" long and deeply adherent about middle of calf and involving the outer side of calf muscles. These scars limit the ankle & foot movements. Movement of foot. Plantar flexion to 50(deg); Dorsiflexion to 70(deg). He cannot get heel to the floor when standing in bare feet but with an ordinary boot he can just manage to take weight on heel. He had slt. injury to lt. Ext. pop. nerve but this is now nearly recovered. There is dulled area of sensation over Ext. Malleolus. All muscles have good voluntary power but are yet only about 1/2 normal in strength. To go to D.S.C.R. for further massage & electrotherapy of these muscles. He is wearing a drop foot brace at present."

On 1 Jun 1920, Lorking was posted from the Hospital Section to the District Depot's Casualty Company. Four days later, he was truck off strength and discharged "Medically Unfit (To take further out-patient treatment with Department of Soldiers' Civil Re-establishment (D.S.C.R.)."

For his service in the C.E.F., Lorking was entitled to receive the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. These were despatched to him at 437 Emery St., London, Ont., in May 1921.

In the 1921 Canadian census, Albert and Minnie Lorking are shown living in London at 437 Emery Street. Albert's trade is listed as soldier and his place of employment was the Department of Soldiers' Civil Re-establishment (D.S.C.R.).

In the early to mid-1920s, Minnie Lorking regularly appears in the social pages of the local papers. These mentions are in connection to activities with the Ridout Street Methodist Woman's Missionary Society (W.M.S.), the Ridout Street Ladies' Aid, and the International Order of the Daughters of the Empire (I.O.D.E.) (C.E.F. Returned Chapter). In February, 1924, she is listed as one of the actors in a play, "The Pill Bottle," put on by the Ridout Street Society at the Ridout Street Methodist Church. By late 1925, Minnie Lorking's mentions in church activities have changed to the Wesley United Church, indicating that her parish was part of the amalgamation that formed the United Church of Canada.

The Lorkings were also well-enough known that a weekend trip to visit friends in Toronto gained a mention in the Society column in May, 1924.

Albert Lorking was also active in supporting causes which mattered to him. In the 12 May 1925 edition of The Free Press on London, an article describes the formation of a new local branch of the Amputations Association of the Great War. Among the appointments for the branch's executive is Lorking as the secretary-treasurer:

"Victor A. Burt, First President

"Branch of Veterans' Amputations Association Formed Here
"Membership of Thirty
"Officers of Dominion Association Attend Meeting

"London's "Fragments From France," otherwise the Amputations Association of the Great War, held an enthusiastic organization meeting in the People's Loan building last night, elected officers and got away to a good start with a membership of 30 men.

"Officers of the Dominion executive of the association, Capt. Rev. Sidney E. Lambert, president; Richard Myers and W.S. Dobbs, with Art White, of the Toronto executive, addressed the gathering and called the London branch into being with a hearty co-operation from the local amputations. Victor A. Burt was chosen president of the London branch with a strong supporting executive, consisting of E.K. Porter, first vice-president: A.J. O'Drowsky, second vice-president; A. Lorking, secretary-treasurer: H. Houldsworth, A. Jenner and J.B. Medland. To the 22 men who had at the previous meeting enrolled as possible "Amps," eight new members were added. More are expected as those at present registered with the Toronto branch are transferred and this city's group will have a total of 135 "Fragments" in Western Ontario to draw from for their future membership.

"The Aims

"Aims and objects of the association, according to the speech of the Dominion president, Captain Lambert, are to bind together in a fraternity all men and women who have lost a limb or complete eyesight in serving Canada, the empire or the allies during the Great War. Protection and provision and employment for all such veterans is sought, questions of adjustment, revision of pensions and other matters are taken up with the Government and financial assistance rendered wherever necessary. Above all, the fraternity, held together by the bond of amputation, is to be encouraged, and with united action the increasing difficulties of members in health and finances are to be ironed out by means of a nationwide brotherhood. Children, widows and dependents of "Amps" can be and are assured a competance and a comradeship at all times. Only men who bear the marks of having been effective soldiers for their country are admitted to the membership, but the cause of every disabled man is to be sought, both as individual cases and their general good.

"Captain Lambert administered the oath to the charter members and officers, and officially declared the London branch of the Amputations' Association of the Great War to be a living body.

"Has Done Much

"What the association has already done was told by Richard Myers, of the Dominion executive, who enlisted a remarkable series of accomplishments for the young organization. Advocating a permanent basis of pensions, a deputation of the association, representing branches from Vancouver and Winnipeg to the half dozen units in Ontario, have succeeded in bringing almost to completion a bill guaranteeing a permanent pension of $900. Only the approval of this bill by the Dominjon Senate now stands in the way, and its acceptance is extremely hopeful. With the aid of many public spirited and patriotic bodies and the press of different cities a revision of the pensions schedule has already been achieved by the association, which has meant an increase of $200,000 in the amount received by disabled men every year until their death. In many cases retroactive increases have been received by disabled men who, not being members of the "Amps," have not known to whom the increase was due.

"The Toronto branch's success with a membership of 800 men was recounted by W.S. Nobbs, president of the Toronto branch, with particular reference to their work in securing employment for limbless men. He also pointed out how the value of the organization to its members has increased and will grow as time goes by when its members who might otherwise be faced with dependence on others. They will find themselves independent of any other aid, and linked in a fellowship with comrades who, like themselves, have made a great sacrifice ungrudgingly for their country."

The London branch of the Amputations Association held a picnic and field day on 3 Aug 1925 which was reported the following day in The Free Press. The detailed list of organizers (including both Lorkings) and prize-winners (A. Lorking appears twice) offers a good look at the scope of such field days organized by associations or other organizations in the period:

"Crippled vets have Big Time

"Armless Boys Win Over Legless By Small Margin.
"Three Hundred Attend
"One of Most Enjoyable Picnics of Year.

"A more successful outing has never been staged locally than the annual picnic of the Amputation Association of the great war, held at Springbank Park on Monday. It was an event that will go down in the annals of the local association as the best ever, for from the opening of the day's festivities until the departure of the last of the merrymakers late in the evening, there was something doing all the time.

"A unique feature of the day's program was a baseball game between the "Knee Amps" and the "Arm and Above Knee Amps." The latter won by a final score: of 4 to 3. The game was well fought, errorless and contained many laughable incidents and a game that would put many an able-bodied group of men to shame. A catch made by A. Wistow, a one-armed veteran, was a rather unique part of the game. The game stood 5-3 in the seventh, the tie being broken just before the conclusion of the inning.

"There was an abundance of "eats," thanks to ihe ladies in charge of this end of the program, and everyone did justice to the exceptionally fine lunch. The association expressed its thanks publicly at the conclusion of the luncheon to the business men of London who aided in making the outing a success. There were 300 members of the association in attendance.

"Committees in Charge

"Committees—Transportation, A.E. Saunders, R.J. Edwards; supper, Mrs. A.E. Saunders (convener), Mrs. A. Lorking, Mrs. H. Houldsworth, Mrs. Burt senior; ice cream and drinks, A. Lorking, A. Douglas, J. B. Medlyn, W.A. Irwin; sports and prizes, Mr. and Mrs. Victor Burt, Mr. and Mrs. E.K. Porter, Mr. and Mrs. B.J. Medlyn, W.H. Ward, W. Benford and J.E. Clark.

The Amputations Association worked to support the needs of its members and to provide a voice for them to levels of government. Lorking outlined the role of the Association for the local paper and his comments were published in the The Free Press of London, Ont., on 27 Aug 1925:

"Explains Aim of Amputations Men

"London Secretary Outlines Position of Association.
"Not in Amalgamation
"Body Was First To Propose Stabilized Pensions.

"The difficulty of the members of the Amputations' Association of Canada in meeting all the conditions of life, the work that this association has done in obtaining Government aid for its members and the possibilities of the amputations men joining in any general amalgamation of veterans, are outlined in a letter from the secretary of the local-branch. Albert Lorking, the secretary, places these facts, both of the individual members and of the organization in general, before the public in the following letter to The Free Press:

"In order that the people of London and district may realize just what the Amputations' Association of the Great War is doing, I would like to quote a few facts.

"Ours was the first organization to advocate the stabilization of the pension at $900 per annum for a single total disability case. This was advocated before the Parliamentary committee, under the chairmanship of Hume Cronyn, M.P. for London, and it was indorsed by the convention in Vancouver in September, 1922. The G.W.V.A. was advocating a dollar, a per cent. which had no chance of going through, as the Government had sets its face against any increase in pension.

"The Toronto branch alone raised $2,300 by voluntary subscription for the purpose of carrying on this campaign.

"By a resolution passed at our Dominion convention in Toronto in 1921, reaffirmed in Vancouver in 1922 and again in Ottawa in 1924, we cannot enter into any amalgamation until the major organizations show their sincerity by really organizing into a confederation that will stand forever.

"There is a total of 4,234 amputation cases in Canada, Included in this are the following: Both legs and arms; 1; both legs and right arm, 1; both legs and left arm, 2; right leg and left arm, 3; left leg and left arm, 4; right leg and right arm, 2; left leg and right arm, 6; both arms and foot, 1; both arms, 7; both legs, 95.

"The amputation and blind case is under a constant nervous strain, which adds materially to the general difficulty of living. This nervous strain may have one or more of the following effects: Insomnia, pain in phantom limb, nerve ends on stump, irritability and indigestion and organic complaints. An amputation or blind case is a permanent disability and the disability remains 24 hours each day and not for an eight or 10-hour day.

"Employers of labor and the general public immediately conclude that our men are unable to perform efficient work. This is our greatest hindrance in securing employment. Also, the only recreation we get is from theaters, concerts and public sports, put only as spectators.

"We trust that the public will bear these facts in mind."

By the end of 1925, the Association was also voicing its objection to plans for reduction of benefits to men who were assessed as under 20% disabled. A brief article in The Free Press on 8 Dec 1925 covered this as well as a change of some executive members:

"Local Amps. Association Opposes Proposal to Curb Relief for Returned Men

"Declare Industrial Conditions Do Not Warrant Discontinuing Relief To Veterans Under 20 Per Cent. Disability.

"The London branch of the Veterans' Amputation Association, at their annual meeting held last night, went on record as being officially against the discontinuation of relief to veterans under 20 per cent. disability, on the grounds that industrial conditions show no improvement over last year and previous years. A telegram to this effect was sent to the Hon. Dr. Beland, minister of soldiers' civil re-establishment and health, to-day.

"The following is the telegram: "Hon. Dr. Beland, London branch of the Veterans' Amputation Association protest the discontinuance of the relief to veterans under 20 per cent., owing to the fact that industrial conditions show no improvement over last year and previous years. (Signed) A. Lorking, secretary."

"The association passed another resolution to the effect that they work in harmony with and for the benefit of all veterans.

"The annual election of officers resulted as follows: President, V.A. Burt; first vice-president, R.J. Edwards; second vice-president, George C. Hayes; secretary-treasurer, A. Lorking (acclamation); executive members, W.A. Irwin, R. Maidens, E.M. Forrest, G.H. Hodgins and B.J. Medland."

1925 was also the year of the "Unity Conference" between veterans' organization in Canada that led to the formation of the Royal Canadian Legion. The Amputations Association was one of the few holdouts which chose to remain separate. Their reasons included caution over the new structures not yet having a consistent and proven "voice" for their members, and also the need to maintain focused attention on the needs of the "Amps." Over the following decades, the Association became "The War Amps," which continues today.

By 1928, Albert Lorking appears in the Vernon's City Directories for London listed as a photographer. He was shown as working out of his home address. The last directory which lists his trade as photographer is the 1932 edition and the Lorkings were still living at 437 Emery Street as of the publication of the 1937 directory.

Albert Lorking died on 6 May 1938. He is buried in the Riverside Cemetery, Hebron, Yarmouth County, Nova Scotia. Minnie survived him by almost two years.

After Lorking's death was attributed to service-related causes, his widow and mother were entitled to receive silver Memorial Crosses. These were despatched on 17 Sep 1938 to Mrs. Minnie Lorking, P.O. Box 901, Yarmouth, N.S., and Mrs. Ruth Lorking, 11 Moore St., Roseville, Sydney, Australia.

Pro Patria

Visit a randomly selected page in The O'Leary Collection (or reload for another choice):