The O'Leary Collection—Medals of The Royal Canadian Regiment

Lieut. Frederick Amherst Hale

9th Mississauga Horse
Eaton Machine Gun Battery
The Royal Canadian Regiment
7th Infantry Brigade Machine Gun Company
Canadian Siberian Expeditionary Force (Pte, # 2768888)
Veterans Guard of Canada (Lieut.)

By: Capt (ret'd) Michael M. O'Leary, CD, The RCR

Frederick Amherst Hale was born in Quebec, P.Q., on 26 Mar 1895. Hale's family, led by parents Edward and Ethel, can be found in the 1901 and 1911 Canadian Censuses. The two appearances of the family show Frederick as the eldest son of three children with two younger siblings, Jeffrey and Helen. In 1901 the family home in Quebec was shared with an elderly aunt and three maids. In 1911, their home in Kingston, Ont, was shared with two servants, a mother and son.

Frederick's father, Edward Russell Hale, an accountant, served in the Canadian Militia. He was commissioned in the 8th Battalion, "Royal Rifles," an appointment published in Militia General Orders of 20 Mar 1891. He would later transfer to the Canadian Army Service Corps and serve in the Canadian Permanent Army Service Corps until resigning his commission on 30 Jun 1912. He would return to military service in the Canadian Expeditionary Force (C.E.F.) serving overseas and attaining the rank of Major. Brother Jeffrey John Hale would also serve overseas in the C.E.F. with the C.A.S.C. and the air defence artillery.

On 15 Oct 1914 Frederick Amherst Hale, gentleman, followed his father into military service and was appointed to a commission as a provisional Lieutenant (supernumerary) in the 9th Mississauga Horse., He was confirmed in that rank in January, 1915.

Hale declared his readiness to serve in the Canadian Expeditionary Force (C.E.F.) on 1 Feb 1915. His details were recorded on a soldier's attestation paper, probably due to a shortage of Officers' Declaration forms. A 20-year-old bond broker, Hale was described on his attestation paper as 6 feet 1/2 inches tall, with a 36 1/2-inch chest, a fair complexion, blue eyes, and fair hair. His religious denomination was Church of England. Hale identified his father, E. Russell Hale, 307 Russell Hill Road, Toronto, as his next of kin.

Officers of the Militia were held on the strength of their parent Militia regiment even after enlisting to serve in the C.E.F. In the Militia Lists they were shown as attached to the Expeditionary Force. Hale was, therefore, already on the strength of the Eaton Machine Gun Battery for his C.E.F. service when he was absorbed into the establishment of the 9th Mississauga Horse on 22 Mar 1915 (i.e., no longer listed as supernumerary).

Hale sailed for England from the port of Montreal aboard the S.S. Metagama on 4 Jun 1915. He was one of 23 lieutenants listed with Eaton's Machine Gun Battery on that unit's sailing list.

Soon after his arrival in England,Hale was attached to the 7th Infantry Brigade Headquarters and qualified at the Machine Gun School at Shorncliffe from 28 Jun to 10 Jul 1915. Remaining in England while he awaited an appointment overseas in France, Hale was paid $2.00 per day plus another 60 cents daily field allowance as a Lieutenant in the C.E.F. In addition, as an officer he received an extra $1.00 per day for messing.

Hale was posted overseas to France on 2 Apr 1916. In short order, he proceeded from the Canadian Training Division to the 7th Infantry Brigade. He joined The Royal Canadian Regiment in the field (which became his parent unit in the theatre of war) and was immediately seconded for duty with the 7th Brigade Machine Gun Company.

Although the Brigade Machine Gun Companies of the Canadian Corps were authorized by Special Army Order on 22 Oct 1915, the companies did not actually form until the spring on 1916. The 7th Cdn. M.G. Company was organized in Belgium in March 1916 as the 7th Canadian Infantry Brigade Machine Gun Company under the command of Capt. H.T. Cock (The RCR). The company was organized from the machine gun sections of the 7th Brigade's infantry battalions (The RCR, PPCLI, 42nd Bn, and 49th Bn). It was redesignated as the 7th Cdn. M.G. Coy in July 1916. In Aug 1917, the 7th, 8th, and 9th Cdn. M.G. Coys would be detached from their respective infantry brigades and, with the 15th Cdn. M.G. Coy, form the companies of the 3rd Canadian Divisional Machine Gun Battalion. This unit, on the establishment of the Canadian Machine Gun Corps (C.M.G.C.) in early 1918, would become the 3rd Bn., C.M.G.C.

Lieut.-Col. Charles S. Grafton, in The Canadian "Emma Gees," notes that:

"The 3rd Division companies were also formed in the line. The units were organized in March and April and on formation, the following officers were serving:

"7th C.M.G. Company — Capt. H.T. Cook, O.C.; Lieuts. H.T. Beecroft, G.O.C. Fenton, F.A. Hale, G.T. Scroggie, W.F. Tobey, W.G. Williams, E.H. Ziegler."

In the History of the Canadian Machine Gun Corps, C.E.F., written in 1919 by Maj. H.T. Logan, M.C. and Captain M.R. Levey, M.M., a more detailed description of the Company's origins was recorded:

"Orders for the Mobilisation of the 7th Company were published on March 3rd, but it was not until late in April that the men assembled. The Brigade was in the Line and the Personnel selected for Transfer to the Machine Gun Company remained with the Battalions until the Tour was completed, 7 Officers who arrived from England on April 3rd, were attached to various Infantry Battalions pending the Mobilisation of the Company. On April 24th, 4 Colt Guns with Transport were received from the 49th Battalion, and the attached Officers returned from Battalions. On the 28th, the remaining 12 Guns were handed over, viz., 4 Colt Guns from R.C.R., 4 from the 42nd and 4 Vickers Guns from the P.P.C.L.I. Meantime the Personnel had assembled in huts at the Machine Gun Camp "B," S.W. of BRANDHOEK, and about 1 mile due East of POPERINGHE. On the day the last of their Guns were received, they relieved the 8th Brigade Company in the Right Sector of the Divisional Front, ZILLEBEKE-MAPLE COPSE-SANCTUARY WOOD."

Hale was identified as one of the first officers for the 7th M.G. Coy. while still in England. He reported for duty on landing in France on 3 Apr 1916 and was sent to The RCR until returning to the Company was formed on 24 Apr 1916.

On 28 Apr 1916, the 7th M.G. Coy. Relieved the 8th M.G. Coy in the front lines in the area of Zillebeeke, Maple Copse, and Sanctuary Wood. Hale commanded No. 1 Section (less one gun detached to No. 2 Section). The remainder of the 7th Brigade executed its relief operation the following night. In concert with the steady rotation of infantry battalions and brigades, the machine gun companies would also cycle in and out of their front line, support, and reserve roles on a regular basis. Often, the machine gunners would relieve their counterparts a day early, or later, so that they were not being rotated at the same time as the infantry units in the same sector.

By the spring of 1916, Hale would identify his next of kin to be his mother, Mrs. E. Russell, living at 19 Clifton Cres., Folkestone, Kent. Also to be notified was his father, E. Russell Hale, Kensington Gate Hotel, London, S.W. A third point of contact also appeared on a 1916 dated medical card in his service record, Mrs. R.M. Beckett, Cadogan Hotel, London, S.W.1.

On 20 May 1916, Hale was admitted to 10th Canadian Field Ambulance and then transferred to 3rd Division Rest Station with a diagnosis of tonsillitis. After a week in hospital, he rejoined the Company on 28 May 1916 and the next day was back in the front lines.

Elements of the 7th M.G. Coy. were in the front line to support the 6th Canadian Infantry Brigade during the fighting at Mount Sorrel in early June 1916. The company paid a heavy toll of killed, wounded and missing. The company proved its worth on the field of battle. A letter to the Company from Brig.-Gen. Kitchen, D.S.O., Commander 6th C.I.B., stated: "…your machine gun crews and guns were of the greatest use to us at the Culvert when the Boche came across. They did excellent work indeed and it was very fortunate they were with us."

Hale was back in hospital on 20 Jun 1916, when he was admitted to No. 20 General Hospital, Camiers, suffering from pyrexia of unknown origin (P.U.O.), i.e., trench fever, and also measles. He was sent on to No. 24 General Hospital, Camiers, the same day to be held under observation for his slight case of German measles.

Three weeks later, on 11 Jul 1916, Hale was evacuated to England, crossing the Channel aboard the hospital ship H.S. Stad Antwerpen. The following day, he was admitted to No. 4 London General Hospital. Simultaneously, he was taken off the strength of the Machine Gun Company and transferred to Headquarters, Canadian Training Depot, and posted to the General List. This change of unit for an officer or soldier sent to England was a normal administrative measure, so that his administration would be managed by a unit in England rather than by an operational unit at the front.

A Medical Board at London, Eng., examined Hale on 14 Jul 1916 for "debility following German measles." The Board's findings were recorded as "this Officer had German measles. States disease first diagnosed as Enteric 19.6.16 (M.O. Machine Gun School Camiers). Sent to 20 General Hospital who diagnosed Scarlet Fever. Sent to 24 General where diagnosis was German measles. Sent to No. 4 London General, kept one day and sent for Board." Hale was determined by the Board to be unfit for any form of service for a further three weeks. Discharged from hospital, Hale's address was recorded as The Lyndhurst Hotel, Folkestone. The Board revisited his case on 4 Aug 1916 and pronounced him recovered.

On 4 Aug 1916, Hale was posted to the Canadian Machine Gun Depot from the General List. He would wait until 20 Sep 1916 before he proceeded overseas to rejoin the 7th Inf. Bde. M.G. Coy. Four days afterward was taken back on the strength of the Company on arrival in France. Hale and two other lieutenants joined the Company from England as it arrived in billets at Val de Maison, the company and the 7th Brigade having just come out of the front line.

The 7th Cdn. M.G. Coy., after a series of marches that ended at Albert, reentered the front lines on 2 Oct 1916 where the Company supported its Division through the fighting at Regina Trench in early October, 1916.

On 9 Jan 1917, Lieut. F.A. Hale proceeded to Canadian Corps Training School for Course of Instruction. He soon returned and, on 15 Jan 1917, assumed command of the Company during temporary absence of Major Van den Berg (who was attending an Advanced Course of Instruction on Machine Guns). The major would return and take over command again on 5 Feb 1917.

While Hale had his first experience in Command of the 7th M.G. Coy, the War Diary on 27 Jan 1917 noted the following evolution of activities along the front lines:

"Bombing raids are now becoming the "order of the day' on this front and especially this week on the THELUS Sector front. These raids are being carried out successfully and with few casualties to themselves by all the battalions in this Brigade. The Machine Gun Company aid them, where possible, with direct fire on dumps and targets in the rear of the enemy's front line trenches."

On 3 Mar 1917, the Company's War Diary listed the distribution of officers in the Company, showing Lieut. F.A. Hale as Second in Command. The command of the company passed to Lieut D.S. Forbes, M.C., on 22 Mar 1917. Hale remained in the appointment of second in command.

It was during the attack on Vimy Ridge that Hale would again become the company commander. The War Diary entry for 9 Apr 1917 included the notes:

"Lieut. Hale commanded "J" Battery of Indirect Fire Guns until the Officer Commanding became a casualty."

"Lieut. Hale assumes command of the Company, Lieut Morris to 2IC."

In June of 1917, Hale was granted ten days leave of absence, which he took from 18 to 28 Jun 1917.

Throughout the summer of 1917, the War Diary of the 7th M.G. Coy is notable for the steady rotation in and out of the line and for the periods in Reserve that the company spent in training and drills to maintain their skills. Among all of the activity of war-fighting and preparedness, there was still time for the soldiers of the company to demonstrate their skills in competition against others in the Canadian Corps. The Company's War Diary for June, 1917, ended with the following note:

"The 3rd Canadian Division held a Horse Show on the 14th of June in which this unit won the 1st prize for the Machine Gun Competition. The Canadian Corps held a horse show on the 20th June in which this unit won the Second prize for Machine Gun Companies. A First Army Horse Show on the 25th of June, the 1st Canadian Machine Gun Company won the 1st prize for Machine Gun Companies."

On 29 Sep 1917, Hale handed over command of the 7th M.G. Coy to Capt. J.G. Weir, M.C., and was struck off the strength of the 7th M.G. Coy. He was posted to the 6th M.G. Coy and proceeded to the Machine Gun School at Camiers to attend a course. From the details noted in Hale's service record, it does not appear that he actually joined the 6th M.G. Company in the field.

Hale was admitted to No. 20 General Hospital, Camiers, on 29 Oct 1917 suffering from a mild case of impetigo, a common and highly contagious skin infection. Soon after, on 3 Nov 1917, he was struck off strength of the 6th M.G. Coy and transferred to the M.G. Corps Depot, Seaford, on being invalided to England, sick, and admitted to the Royal Free Hospital, Grays Inn Road, W.C. London with an ulceration of the leg

After Hale had been in hospital in England for a week, a Medical Board assembled in the London Area examined Hale's case on 11 Nov 1917. His disability was identified as "ulcer of leg (left). The report completed by the board provided the following details: "this Officer reports from Royal Free Hospital. He appeared before the Board yesterday and was returned for a fuller diagnosis. He is sent back to-day with letter, herewith attached. [Letter not included in service record.] He reported sick in France with a "sore leg" 15-10-17. Was sent to 20th General Camiers 27-10-17 and from there to Royal Free 4-11-17 where he has been to date. M.C.S. states (from Royal Free) Wassermann in France negative and first one at Royal Free negative. [Wassermann tests were for syphilis antibodies, to identify or eliminate that as a potential underlying cause.] Present Condition: Five ulcer scars on left leg, look specific, practically healed. Officer anaemic and debilitated. Will require prolonged treatment and rest. Recommend invalid to Canada. He could travel by transport."

Entered in the margin of the report was the following note: "The "sore leg" was caused in the first place, this Officer states, by wire cut, but new ulcers not due to wire cut – developed later."

Hale was considered not fit for light duty at home within three months, and would not be fit for home service or general service for four months. Discharged from hospital on 1 Dec 1917, he was invalided to Canada. Six days later he sailed from Liverpool for aboard the S.S. Justicia. On leaving the U.K., Hale was struck off the strength of the Cdn. M.G. Corps Depot and the Overseas Military Forces of Canada (O.M.F.C.).

Arriving in Canada on 11 May 1918, Hale was struck of the strength of the C.E.F. and placed on the Reserve of Officers.

Late in the First World War, the C.E.F. ceased organizing new battalions of infantry to provide the Canadian Corps with reinforcements. With the evolution overseas of the regional Depot system to manage reinforcements for the Canadian Corps, recruiting in Canada changed from recruiting numbered battalions of infantry to general recruiting through depot battalions that would send reinforcement drafts to their affiliated Regimental Depots overseas. The change to a static organization preparing and despatching new soldiers also decreased the demand for new officers. During the war, many officers who went overseas with later reinforcement battalions found themselves remaining in England or returned to Canada because they were not needed in France. The battalions in France had also started to meet some of their needs for new officers through the training and commissioning of experienced soldiers and young non-commissioned officers who demonstrated the desired leadership potential, which offset the demand for the recruitment of new officers.

Four months after being invalided to Canada and discharged from the C.E.F., Frederick Hale decided to continue his military service. With a much reduced demand for new officers, Hale chose to re-enlist as a soldier and re-attested for service in the C.E.F. as a soldier with the 2nd Depot Battalion of the Eastern Ontario Regiment on 28 Sep 1918. The 2nd Depot Bn., E.O.R. was authorized on 2 Jan 1918. The unit's original role was to provide reinforcements for the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry and the 38th Canadian Infantry Battalion through the 7th Canadian Reserve Battalion.

A 23-year-old bond salesman, Hale was described on his new attestation paper as 5 feet 11 inches tall, with a 37-inch chest, a fair complexion, blue eyes, and brown hair. His religious denomination was Church of England. Hale identified his father, Major E.R. Hale, H.Q. 3rd Canadian Division, as his next of kin. In November he would add his mother, Ethel M. Hale, 123 Cooper St., Ottawa, Ont., to his records to also be notified. On attesting with the Eastern Ontario Regiment, Hale was given the regimental number 2768888.

On enlisting, Hale stated that he belonged to the Active Militia and that he had been previously discharged as unfit due to general debility. He stated that he had previously served in The RCR and with the 7th Cdn M.G. Company.

Frederick Hale was medically examined for his fitness to serve in the C.E.F. at Ottawa on 25 Sep 1918. Now weighing 154 pounds, he was found fit and given a medical category of Aii. Category Aii was comprised of men who had not been in the field but only lacked training. Although Hale had certainly received prior training, the medical category system didn't specifically address men re-enrolling after having previously been discharged.

An an officer of the Militia, Hale's change of status was reported in the Canada Gazette, dated 7 Dec 1918: "Lieutenant Frederick Amherst Hale is struck off the strength of the Reserve of Officers, C.E.F., on proceeding overseas in the ranks. 26th September, 1918."

Effective 2 Oct 1918, Hale was transferred to the H.Q. Subordinate Staff of the Canadian Siberian Expeditionary Force (C.S.E.F.) and struck off the strength of the 2nd Depot Bn., E.O.R. Less than two weeks later, on 11 Oct 1918, Hale embarked for overseas on the S.S. Empress of Japan at Vancouver, B.C., and sailed with the advance party of the C.S.E.F.

Back in uniform, and at sea, Hale was also soon back under medical care. Once aboard the S.S. Empress of Japan, Hale reported sick to the No. 11 Stationary Hospital staff on the ship. Diagnosed with jaundice, his condition was recorded as: "Patient states that he felt out of sorts, was constipated, and notice of skin yellow for two days, does not remember having had jaundice since childhood, but believes he had one attack of jaundice about age of seven years. No vomiting or pain and no other symptoms. Examination shows distinct yellow coloration of skin, face, neck, body, extremeties, and eyes. No abdominal distension, enlargement of liver, no tenderness over abdomen. Heart and lungs apparently normal." Hale was prescribed bed rest and medications, and remained under medical care for the voyage.

Hale arrived in Siberia with the Canadian Base Headquarters on 26 Oct 1918. By 6 Nov 1918, his condition was recorded as "Greatly improved, still slight tinge on conjunctival (i.e., the white of the eye). Recommend light duty two weeks." The following day, he was discharged from hospital. Hale returned to hospital on 15 Dec 1918 when he was admitted to No. 11 Stationary Hospital, with jaundice again. A little over two weeks later, on 2 Jan 1919, he was discharged from hospital at Vladivostok.

The Canadian mission in Siberia began its withdrawal and return to Canada in April 1919. On sailing from Vladivostok aboard the S.S. Monteagle on 21 Apr 1919, Hale was taken on the strength of District Depot No. 3, Ottawa, and struck off the strength of the C.S.E.F.

Having returned to Canada, Hale was given a final medical examination on 13 May 1919 before his discharge. The report noted his hospitalizations in Siberia for jaundice, but considered him in good general health and physical condition with no disabilities. The medical report did note that he had tattoos on both forearms; a maple leaf on the right, and a coat of arms on the left. The following day, 14 May 1919, Frederick Hale was discharged at District Depot No. 3 on demobilization. His intended address after discharge was 123 Cooper St., Ottawa, Ont.

On discharge, Hale was issued a Class "A" War Service badge, numbered 23550. We was also eligible to receive a War Service Gratuity of $475.80. He received this in a series of cheques issued to him in six installments between May and October, 1919.

Hale was listed among the officers affected by the "authorised appointments, promotions, transfers, and retirements" for The Ontario Mounted Rifles (formerly the 9th Mississauga Horse) on 1 Apr 1921. "Lieutenant (supernumerary) F.A. Hale" was listed among officers to be retired and permitted to retain their rank. (His name appeared immediately after "Lieutenant and brevet Lieutenant-Colonel W.A. Bishop, V.C., D.S.O., M.C., D.F.C., (Infantry).")

In 1921, Hale appears in the Canadian Census living at the family home in Ottawa. Frederick (26), his brother Jeffrey (24), and their sister Helen (22) are all living with parents Russel and Ethel. The census data shows Frederick to be working in a Clerk position making $1200 per year. ("Clerk" in this context is a broad descriptor for office work below managerial appointments.)

For his service in the C.E.F. and C.S.E.F., Hale was entitled to receive the British War Medal and the Victory Medal. In keeping with the practice of naming these medals to the highest rank held during the war, they are impressed with "Lieut. F.A. Hale." These were despatched to him at 483 Wilbrod St., Ottawa, Ont., on 9 Feb 1922. (The address is currently the Embassy of the Republic of Guinea.)

Details of Hale's life after the Great War are found in a few isolated mentions in newspapers and other sources. His name appears in the 27 May 1926 edition of The Ottawa Citizen:

"BLUE Sea Lodge, rooms, cottages and tents on floors with board. Apply Fred Hale, [Bouchette], Que."

Five years later, the Citizen's edition published on 15 Jul 1931 noted that "Mrs. Fred. Hale, who spent a week in Ottawa, has returned to White Fish Lake." From this item, it appears that Fred and Josephine were living as husband and wife in the years before their marriage, perhaps while waiting for her divorce to be finalized.

On 4 May 1933, The Ottawa Journal, in its edition of Friday 5 May 1933, carried news of Hale's wedding. The 38-year-old Hale married 35-year-old divorcee Josephine Valleau:


"Hale-Valleau – On May 4, 1933, Josephine Adrienne, daughter of the late George E. And mrs. Valleau, of Ottawa, to Frederick Amherst Hale, of Bouchette, Que."

Recorded on a page at dedicated to Josephine, her divorce was finalized on 29 Apr 1933, four days before her marriage to Hale. Josephine's first husband was Major Norman Frederick "Jock" Mckee who had served overseas in the Great War with the 15th Cdn. Inf. Bn. The couple had one child, Terence Valleau McKee, who was killed in action in 1945 after a bombing raid while serving with the RCAF (214 (R.A.F.) Sqdn).

In 1932, a year before the Hale's marriage, the Old Boys' Association of Upper Canada College published "The War Book of Upper Canada College, Toronto." Hale's entry in the volume reads as follows:

"HALE, FREDERICK AMHERST; Sec'y and Treas'r. The Colonial Products Corpn., Ltd., 22 St. John St., Montreal; B.; E. January '08, from B.C.S., Lennoxville; aged 12-8; L. June '10; son of Major E. Russell Hale. Permanent Army Service, 483 Wilbrod St., Ottawa; grandson of Dr. F. Montizambert ('56-'59); Lt., 9th Mississauga Horse. Commn., January 1, 1915; Lt. Eaton M.G. Batty.; O.S., June 5, 1915; transf'd 7th Res. Bgde.; Bgde. M.G. Officer, Shorncliffe, November, 1915 - March, 1916; France, April 2. 1916; transf'd 7th C.M.G. Coy.; reinforcement to R.C.R.; Ypres, June 2, 1916; Somme, September-October, 1916; Vimy Ridge, April 9, 1917; Hill 70, August, 1917; ret'd from O.S., December 17, 1917; Pte. S.E.F.; Siberia, October 2, 1918-April 25, 1919; discharged, May 15, 1919."

The Gazette, of Montreal, Que., in its edition of 26 July 1934, noted another trip by Josephine Hale:

"Mrs. Fred. A. Hale, of "Sleepy Hollow," Bouchette, Que., Is visiting Mr. and Mrs. E.T. Fair in Toronto."

The Hale's fishing lodge was recorded as a destination in the Gatineau District in the publication "Fishing Waters and Game Haunts" produced by the Canadian Pacific Railway Company in 1939:

"Hidden away in the Laurentians lies Sleepy Hollow Lodge, controlling 700 wooded acres in the very heart of the Gatineau Valley. This is a quiet, secluded spot offering some excellent fishing for small mouth black bass. The leisurely fisherman will enjoy excellent sport in comfortable, restful surroundings here. Mr. Fred A. Hale, the owner, will gladly furnish detailed information upon request. His address is: Blue Sea P.O., Que."

With the outbreak of the Second World War in 1939, Hale resisted the urge to return to military service for the first few years of the war. On 9 Mar 1942, at the age of 47, Frederick Hale was appointed to a commission as a Lieutenant in the Canadian Army (Active). He was taken on strength for the Corps Reserve, Veterans Guard of Canada (V.G.C.), and his qualifications were succinctly summarized as "Lieut. Inf. (M.G.) C.E.F."

Hale was taken on the strength of No. 16 Company, V.G.C., at St. Stephen, N.B. Late in the yeay, between 14 Nov and 17 Dec 1942, he proceeded On Command to CSATC(EC) Long Branch. This was probably to attend a course to update and upgrade his weapons qualifications. On 18 Dec 1942, he was recorded as qualified Platoon Weapons Q-1 (CSATC).

On 5 May 1943, Hale was struck off the strength of No. 16 Coy V.G.C., and posted to No. 20 Coy V.G.C. at Dartmouth, N.S. Over the following year, he spent time attached to his old company (6-28 May 1943) and away on a period of leave (27 Jul to 9 Aug 1943). On 5 Sep 1943, he was authorized to wear the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal ribbon.

Training opportunities continued for Hale. He was attached to A19, Canadian Army Service Corps Training Centre, Camp Borden, from 9 Apr to 5 May 1944 while attending the Quartermasters' Course. Following this training, on 17 May 1944, he was confirmed as "Qualified Quartermaster." Soon after this, Hale enjoyed a break when he took annual furlough from 17 to 30 Jul 1944.

Early in 1945, Hale was granted 30 days compassionate leave from 24 Jan to 23 Feb 1944. This leave began one week after the death of his step-son, Flying Officer Terrance Valleau McKee, when his bomber crashed in England on return from a bombing raid. The time Hale spent consoling his wife was extended on 23 Feb 1945 when he was granted a further 30 days leave without pay.

As the Second World War was drawing to a close, Hale volunteered for the Canadian Army Pacific Force on 11 Jun 1945. This willingness to continue serving was unsuccessful. Hale was granted privilege leave from 14 Jul to 2 Aug 1945 and on 16 Aug 1945 he was struck off the strength of No. 20 Coy to No. 9 District Depot, Ottawa.

Hale was struck off the strength of the Canadian Army on 22 Aug 1945 and placed on the Reserve of Active Officers (General List). He returned to Reserve Force status at his own request and received a clothing allowance of $100 and a Rehabilitation Grant.

The Upper Canada College magazine "Old Times" edition in July 1946 included among its entries for "War Records" a note of Hale's service:

"Frederick Amherst Hale ('08-'10), bond salesman, Royal Securities Corp.; served '14 to '19; enlisted in Veterans Guard 9 Mar., '42; Lt. discharged 22 Aug., '45; proprietor, Sleepy Hollow Fish and Game Club, Blue Sea P.O., Quebec."

A contemporary newspaper mention places "Sleepy Hollow Fish and Game Club, at Blue Sea near the Canadian Pacific line through the Gatineau district."

For his service in the Second World War, Hale was eligible to receive the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal and the 1939-45 War Medal. These were despatched to him at Blue Sea P.O., Gatineau County, Que., on 14 Jan 1949.

As a member of the Veteran Guard of Canada in the Canadian Army Supplementary Reserve, Hale was placed on the retired list with the rank of Lieutenant on 18 Nov 1950.

The Ottawa Journal, on 8 Mar 1951, carried a brief article that indicated Hale was still trying new ventures in life. Sadly, the article reported on a tragic event (the following was pieced together from poor OCR text available online):

"Chinchilla Ranch and Gatineau Home Lost in $20,000 Fire

"QUEBEC. March 8. – Fire totally destroyed the log-cabin home and chinchilla ranch owned by Fred Hale on Little Whitefish Lake on Blue Sea-Bouchette road this morning. Mr. Hale estimated the loss at approximately $20,000 which, however, does not include irreplaceable antiques and heirlooms dating back to an ancestor, General John Hale, who was one of Wolfe's generals at the fall of Quebec. Mr. Hale said his losses [included] breeding stock valued at $1,000 and when he arrived at Union station a close friend, …?.. Tripp, met him with the bad news. A neighbor of Mr. Hale's had telephoned to Mr. Tripp requesting him to get in touch with Mr. Hale and notify him of the fire, The loss is partly covered by insurance."

Hale's name also appeared in the "Who's Who of Fur Farming, 1951–1952" under the list of Chinchilla Breeders in Quebec: "Hale, Fred A. – Blue Sea Lake, Gatineau."

The place and date of death for Frederick Hale has yet to be confirmed (by this writer). One page on ancestry places Josephine's death in October, 1988, but provides no further details.

Pro Patria

Visit a randomly selected page in The O'Leary Collection (or reload for another choice):