Miss Manners' Rules of Military Desert Etiquette (1991)
Don't flatulate in closed tents. A professional steps outside.
Times Daily, Florence, Alabama, 18 February 1991
1. Don't leave half-drunk, open water bottles. Finish them.
2. Don't leave dip cups (spittoons) lying around. Empty them.
3. Never separate a soldier from his or her cot.
4. Rinse out the wash basin after use. No one wants your soap scum and hair.
5. Don't flatulate in closed tents. A professional steps outside.
6. Never open a new case of MREs just because you don't like any of the meals left in the open box.
7. Never relieve yourself in the presence of soldiers of the opposite sex. If by accident this happens, always apologize.
8. Never hog the shower water. Always turn the shower off until you need to rinse.
9. Always drive on the dust down side of pedestrians. It is very improper to 'dust' walking soldiers.
10. Be cautious when playing volleyball in boxer shorts.