Topic: Military Theory
Soviet Principles of Military Art
From the Soviet Military Encyclopedia, as presented by W.P. Baxter in Soviet Airland Battle Tactics, 1986
1. High military preparedness for fulfilling of missions under any conditions for starting or conduct of war.
2. Surprise, decisiveness, aggressiveness of military activity, continuous striving to achieve and retain the initiative.
3. Full use of the various means and capabilities of battle to achieve victory.
4. Coordinated application of and close cooperation between major units of all the armed forces and branches of service.
5. Decisive coordination of the essential force at the needed moment and in the most important directions and for the decision of the main mission.
6. The simultaneous destruction of the enemy to the entire depth of his deployment, the timely accumulation of forces, the clever manoeuvre of forces and means for the development of military action at a rapid tempo, and the destruction of the enemy in a short period.
7. Calculation and full exploitation of the moral-political factor.
8. Strict and uninterrupted leadership.
9. Steadfastness and decisiveness in fulfilling assigned missions.
10. Comprehensive security of combat activity.
11. Timely restoration of reserves and combat capability of forces.