Second World War photos on line at the Library and Archives Canada (LAC).
One of the greatest challenges with the ever increasing accessibility of LAC holdings via on line databases is keeping track of what is available. While much of the searchable nature of the LAC catalogue leads to file references that must be ordered (either locally for viewing by yourself or a hired researcher, or through the LAC for copying), there is an increasing amount of items that have been scanned and made available for direct viewing.
One of these collections is Faces of War. This collection displays nearly 2500 images of Canadian soldiers, sailors and airmen from the Second World War.
The Basic Search Page allows searching image descriptions by any key word (or words) you enter.
The Advanced Search Page supports a more detailed filtering approach. Selecting a button for Army – Navy – Air Force will bring up a selection list to choose a unit, ship or squadron. Clicking the Geographical button lets you choose applicable locations. You can also sort for images by the photographer's name.
Faces of War is an excellent resource introducing Canadians to some of the photos held by LAC of Canadian service members in the Second World War. Hopefully, over time, resources will be available to expand this database to include more of their holdings.
The three faces shown above were cropped from the following LAC images, see the full images at the links:
- Title: Private D.B. MacDonald of The Royal Canadian Regiment, who carries a Bren light machine gun, near Campobasso, Italy, October 1943.
- Location: Campobasso, Italy (vicinity)
- Date: October 1943.
- Photographer: Smith, Jack H., Photographer
- Mikan Number: 3226037
- Title: Able Seaman Carl Carlson with one of the hull plates of H.M.C.S. QU'APPELLE which was pierced by a German shell during an action in which H.M.C.S. QU'APPELLE, H.M.C.S. SKEENA, H.M.C.S. RESTIGOUCHE and H.M.C.S. ASSINIBOINE sank three German armed trawlers. England, 16 August 1944.
- Location: England
- Date: August 16, 1944
- Photographer: Arless, Lt Richard Graham., Photographer
- Mikan Number: 3374382
- Title: Groundcrew servicing a Hawker Hurricane IIB aircraft of No. 402 (City of Winnipeg) Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Force (R.C.A.F.), Fairwood Common, Wales, March 1942.
- Location: Fairwood Common, Wales
- Date: March 1942.
- Photographer: Unknown., Photographer
- Mikan Number: 3199522