Topic: Canadian Militia
G.O. 59 of 1897
Military Contingent To Represent Canada At Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee
Her Majesty Queen Victoria
A stamp celebating the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
Obverse of the Jubilee medal 1897.
Reverse of the Jubilee medal 1897.
"In Commemoration of the 60th Year of the Reign of Queen Victoria 20 June 1897"
A Victoriam shoulder strap badge worn by The Royal Regiment Canadian Infantry. now The Royal Canadian Regiment.
Issued as a Special General Order on the 12th May, 1897.
In conformity with the invitation received through His Excellency the Governor General from the Right Honourahle the Secretary of State for the Colonies, the following Military Contingent has been selected to represent Canada in England on the occasion of Her Majesty's Diamond Jubilee.
1. Command and Staff
- Officer in Command of Contingent
- Colonel the Honourable M. Aylmer, Adjutant-General of Militia
- Commanding Cavalry
- Major T.D.B. Evans, Royal Canadian Dragoons
- Commanding Artillery
- Major J.S. Hendrie, 4th Field Battery, C.A.
- Commanding Infantry and Rifles
- Lieutenant-Colonel Joules Mason, 10th Battalion "Royal Grenadiers"
- Captain J.C. MacDougall, The Royal Regiment Canadian Infantry
- Lieutenant Colonel James Munro, 22nd Battalion "Oxford Rifles"
- Captain C.M. Nelles, 38th Battalion "Dufferin Rifles of Canada"
- Medical Officer
- Surgeon-Major C. W. Wilson, 3rd Field Battery, C.A.
(1) The undermentioned Officers of the Active Militia have been selected for executive duty with the Contingent and will report themselves to the Officer Commanding the same at Quebec on the 26th May, 1897. They will be posted as follows:—
- Captain Frank A. Fleming, The Governor General's Body Guard
- Captain R. Brown, The Princess Louise Dragoon Guards
- Lieut.-Colonel J.A. Longworth, 4th Regiment, C.A.
- Major F. W. Hibbard, 2nd Regiment, C.A.
- Infantry and Rifles
- Major H.A. Pellet, 2nd Battalion
- Captain J. E. Peltier, 65th Battalion
- Captain A. T. Thompson, 37th Battalion
- Lieut. R. M. Courtney, 6th Battalion
(2) Certain other Officers have also been selected to proceed with the Contingent, but not necessarily for executive duty therewith. Such Officers will not he required to report themselves until the day of sailing, viz.: 5th June.
3. Non-Commissioned Staff
The appointments to the Non-Commissioned staff will rest with the Officer Commanding the Contingent It will be comprised as follows:—1 Sergeant-Major; Quarter-master Sergeant; 1 Hospital Sergeant; 1 Paymaster's Clerk; and 1 Orderly Room Clerk.
- Royal Canadian Dragoons – 8.
- Governor General's Body Guard – 4.
- 1st Hussars – 4.
- 3rd Dragoons – 4.
- 4th Hussars – 4.
- 6th Hussars – 4.
- 8th Hussars – 4.
- Princess Louise's Dragoon Guards – 4.
- King's Canadian Hussars – 4.
- Queen's Own Canadian Hussars – 4.
- Manitoba Dragoons – 4.
- Royal Canadian Artillery – 8.
- 1st Brigade Field Artillery – 1.
- 1st Field Battery – 1.
- 2nd Field Battery – 1.
- 4th Field Battery – 1.
- 9th Field Battery – 1.
- 12th Field Battery – 1.
- 13th Field Battery – 1.
- 15th Field Battery – 1.
- 1st Regiment Garrison Artillery – 2.
- 3rd Regiment Garrison Artillery – 2.
- 4th Regiment Garrison Artillery – 2.
- 5th Regiment Garrison Artillery – 2.
Infantry and Rifles (68)
- The Royal Regiment Canadian Infantry – 8.
- The Governor General's Foot Guards – 4.
- 2nd Battalion "Queen's Own Rifles of Canada – 4.
- 3rd Battalion "Victoria Rifles of Canada" – 4.
- 6th Battalion "Royal Scots of Canada" – 4.
- 9th Battalion Rifles "Voltigeurs de Québec" – 4.
- 10th Battalion "Royal Grenadiers" – 4.
- 13th Battalion of Infantry – 4.
- 14th Battalion The Princess of Wales' Own Rifles – 4.
- 48th Battalion "Highlanders" – 4.
- 82nd Battalion "St. John Fusiliers" – 4.
- 63rd "Halifax" Battalion of Rifles – 4.
- 65th Battalion "Mount Royal Rifles" – 4.
- 68th "King's County Battalion of Infantry – 4.
- 82nd "Queen's County Battalion of Infantry" – 4.
- 90th "Winnipeg Battalion of Rifles – 4.
(Further paragraphs of the General Order provided the details for Pay, Transport, Allowances, Quarters, Messing, Equipment and Mobilization.)