Topic: Canadian Militia
Active Militia of Canada
Military Athletic Sports
To be held at the
Exhibition Grounds, Toronto
Under the auspices of the
Saturday, Tenth September, 1881
V. Sankey, Hon. Secretary,
Lieut. Queen's Own Rifles.
1. All events open to members of Active Militia only, except Nos. 7, 10 and 12, which have been opened to members of any regular police force in Ontario. No member of the Militia is allowed to compete unless he shall have been an efficient member of the same for at lest three months preceding the date of competition, and shall, if required, produce a certificate to that effect from the commanding officer of his corps.
2. The events appended hereto shall take place in the order in which they are set forth; and none but amateurs shall be allowed to compete in Nos. 1, 3, 7 and 12.
3. The Entrance Fee for individual competitors shall be 25 cents each; for teams or squads of competitors, $1.00 per team or squad, except for No. 14, which shall be $1.00.
4. Each intending competitor shall lodge with the Honorary Secretary on or before the 5th September his name, with a list of Events for which he intends to enter accompanied by the necessary fee or fees, without which no entry will be received.
5. In every Race the relative positions of the competitors, and in every other Event, the order in which they shall compete shall be determined immediately before the event by lot.
6. Two bugle calls will be sounded before each Event, and immediately after the second call the Events shall take place, and in no case shall any event be delayed through the non-appearance of any competitor.
7. All competitors shall appear in the proper uniform of their respective corps, excepting in Events 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 10, 12 and 13.
8. Three to compete or only one prize; four to compete or only two prizes; six to compete or only three prizes, except in Nos. 8 and 11.
|Events||Prizes (not money) will be given to the values undernoted.|
|1||100 Yds Dash||7||5||3||15|
|3||Quarter Mile Race||9||6||4||19|
|4||Dismounting Gun (9-pounder field gun)||25||25|
|5||Race Quarter Mile||10||7||17|
|6||Wheel Race—100 yds||5||3||2||10|
|7||Half Mile Race||11||7||5||23|
|8||Sword Exercise Mounted—"best squad of six"||42||24||66|
|9||Open Amateur Race—Half-Mile||10||7||17|
|11||Artillery Driving, Three Paces||40||30||20||90|
|12||Hurdle Race, "Foot" 220 yds||12||5||3||20|
|13||Donkey Race, in Costume—Officers only||10||8||18|
|14||Hurdle Race, Mounted—Two miles. Open to all corps, officers and men.||20||20|
|15||Single Stick (Mounted)||15||9||24|
|16||Hurdle Race—Open to "mounted officers and men only," on chargers that have been regularly ridden at annual drill||25||15||40|
|17||Drill Order Race—"Go as you please"—Half-Mile Race. Open to all corps, each competitor to carry a short rifle and sword bayonet of long rifle and bayonet.||15||12||7||34|
|18||Post Practice, "taking the Ring" (Mounted)||12||8||4||24|
|19||Sword vs. Bayonet||12||8||20|
|20||Tug of War—12 men per team from each corps.||24||24;|