Topic: Military Theory
The Six Rules of Soldiering
Martin van Creveld, Fighting Power; German and US Army Performance, 1939-1945, referencing a German training manual "Heeres Dienstvorschrift 300 - Truppenfuhrung" (Army Manual 300 - Command of Troops, 1936)
1. Develop individual initiative and responsibility.
2. Never follow orders blindly.
3. Develop proper discipline.
4. Develop primary groups.
5. Develop an unremitting attack philosophy.
6. "The Golden Rule" — It is better to do something wrong but decisive, than to wait for orders which may never arrive.