Topic: Drill and Training
Clearing Mines; General Rules
How to Clear Mines and Booby Traps, All Arms, March 1943
1. Handle all mines, igniters, and switches with care at All Times.
2. It takes only one man to work on a mine — others keep off.
3. Look carefully all round a mine before sating to work on it.
4. Look out for Booby traps. Do not lift Anti-Tank Mines. Pull clear with 50 yards of signal cable or cord.
5. Take cover before you pull a mine and do not come out for at least 10 seconds after you have pulled it. There may be a delay fuse.
6. Never use force. If a thing will not come undone gently by hand, leave it.
7. If you have to leave a mine or trap unlifted, mark it obviously.
8. Never cut a taut wire, never pull a slack one. Look at both ends of a wire before you touch it.
9. Safety pin anti-personnel mines before you pull them.
10. Mines which have been subject to blast from Artillery or aerial bombardment are apt to be dangerously sensitive, and should be destroyed in situ by Engineers.
11. If in doubt ask the Sappers.