Mobile Force Badge (1966)
The Montreal Gazette, 20 October, 1966
Members of the Canadian Armed Forces' Mobile Command put up new red, white and blue sleeve badges of the Mobile Command on their uniforms yesterday.
For the 20,000 soldiers of Mobile Command's field units across Canada, the new patch will take the place of the rectangular red parch, traditional to the 1st Canadian Infantry Division and first worn by soldiers at the Battle of the Somme, 50 years ago.
The new patch incorporates the dark blue, red and the light blue colours of the three services, as well as the red and white of the Canadian flag.
It is a white diamond, notched on each side, edged with a red border, with four light and dark blue arrow heads radiating from the centre, representing the cardinal points of the compass.
Superimposed upon the arrow shafts, is a red maple leaf. The 1st Canadian Division was formed in January, 1915, from the first contingent of the Canadian Expeditionary Force which had sailed overseas from Quebec City in October, 1914, and its distinctive red patch was frst worn at the Somme, in 1916.
Return of the Divisional Patches (2014)
On 9 Jul, 2013, the Canadian Minister of National Defence announced that the Canadian Army would return to an organization based on "Divisions," to be accomplished by renaming the existing Area commands as follows:
- 1st Canadian Divisional Headquarters to be at Canadian Force Base Kingston (this division has no permanent subordinate brigades).
- Secteur du Québec de la Force terrestre to become the 2nd Canadian Division.
- Land Force Western Area to become the 3rd Canadian Division.
- Land Force Central Area to become the 4th Canadian Division.
- Land Force Atlantic Area to become the 5th Canadian Division.
In 2014, the Divisions will receive new coloured shoulder patches for wear on dress uniforms and they will also receive traditional flags.