Topic: Canadian Militia
Militia General Orders
Headquarters, Ottawa, 1st December, 1897
GENERAL ORDER 107
Equitation for Officers of Dismounted Units
(1.) Courses for instruction in Equitation will be laid on follows:—
- "A" Squadron, R.C.D., Toronto. A course each month.
- "B” Squadron, R.C.D., Winnipeg. A course each month.
- "A" Battery, R.C.A., Kingston. January, February and December in each year.
- "B" Battery, R.C.A., Quebec. January, February, March, November and December in each year.
Courses will commence on the 1st day of the month , except the 1st should he a Sunday when they will commence on the following day.
Duration of Course
(2.) A Course will last for a period not to exceed 28 days; but so soon, after the commencement of a Course, as any candidate is prepared to qualify, his examination will take place.
(3.) Gencral Order (13 ) of 1896 (Syllabus for Equitation for Officers of Dismounted Units) is hereby cancelled and the following in substituted therefor, and will be added to paragraph 1082 Regulations and Orders for the Militia, 1897:—
- Equitation Course — 100 marks.
- Sword Exercise — 25 marks.
- Stable Duties — 25 marks.
- Fitting Saddlery — 25 marks.
- Total — 175
Of the total marks obtainable 70 per cent will be neccesary to qualify for a certificate.
Pay, Subsistence and Transport
The provisions of Regulations and Orders for an ordinary "Special" Course will be applicable for these Courses.