Topic: The RCR
Capt. E.A. Seely-Smith, 1912
In August, 1914, the Canadian Government authorized the establishment of a new company station for The Royal Canadian Regiment. No. 6 Station, at Esquimalt, was home to "L" Company of the Regiment, and provided a western location for the Regiment's Permanent Force recruiting until the end of 1917. The first officer commanding "L" Company would be Captain Edward Albert Seely-Smith, who was in British Columbia en route to Australia and found his travel halted to organize and command the new company.
General Orders; 1914
1st August, 1914
G.O. 125 — Organization
Military District No. 11.— The organizations of a company of The Royal Canadian Regiment, with headquarters at Work Point Barracks, Esquimalt, is authorized.
G.O. 126 — Establishments, 1914-1915
Active Militia, Including Permanent Force
With reference to Establishments 1914-15, as published with G.O. 87, 1914, pp. 12 and 13, after column headed "No. 5 Station, Quebec," insert heading "No. 6 Station, Esquimalt," and in column below add the following:—
|Orderly Room Clerk||1|
|Buglers and Drummers||2|
Al totals to be amended accordingly.
Victor A.S. Williams, Colonel Adjutant-General.